Monday, November 25, 2013

The Home Stretch...Surviving the Holidays

I'm trying, but the holiday festivities, the cold weather, and post-marathon lack of direction is making it hard to keep on track. Not impossible, but it is challenging. Since my last post, I have completed another half-marathon, the Richmond Half, which will be my final race for the year. At this point, I am more interested in getting faster and stronger than in racing long distances. In order to do that, I am taking on shorter distances and interval training. My new goal is to get to between a 9-9:30 min. mile for 5Ks and 10Ks. I am close (at about a 10:00) but I still have lots of work to do.

To jump start that, I am participating in the Runner's World Holiday Running Streak. Basically, I will be running at least a mile every day from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day. I plan on running my three regular runs and in addition, 1-2 miles on the other four days. During two of those days, I am supposed to be in the gym (or at least working out at home) so I will complete the runs prior to doing my gym workouts. The other two days I will have to get feet on pavement or a treadmill...that will be a challenge, but there are a number of women in my running group ( I will write more about them in a later post) who are also doing the challenge and can provide support.

My other goal for the rest of 2013 is to run 1,000 miles. I am at 913 or something like that. I can make it to 1,000 if I run all of my runs plus do about 10 extra miles. Hopefully, I won't put my back to a wall and have to finish the rest of the miles during the last week of the year...

I am currently finishing up a core challenge (planks, leg lifts, and crunches). Once it is done, I will start a plank challenge. I'm hoping the planks will help with my core and my upper body.

I also am gearing myself up to create my goals for 2014. Stay tuned for those...

No comments:

Post a Comment